Until I started blogging, I’d never heard of the Liebster Award. In fact, I hadn’t heard of half the awards that seem to be out there. Once I’d realised what they are, I was green with envy. Would I ever get nominated for one? Would I make friends in the blogging community to do that for me? What would I even write? I’d read peoples posts and genuinely think about just pretending that someone had nominated me… sad huh? What can I say, my life is very baby-centric these days, I need the love too people!!
You can imagine how excited I was to be nominated for the Liebster by the lovely Nicola at MummyToDex. We met on Twitter; I’d always been the one to say ‘I just don’t GET Twitter’ and now I’m officially a convert. It’s my favourite way to find other parenting bloggers and has genuinely been a lifeline on a crappy day. Her little boy is about a week younger than mine and I love following them through the same stages as we’re in – weaning, baby classes, general oddballness about parenting! If you get a chance, you should definitely check out her blog.
In the true spirit of Liebster, you’re meant to highlight one of your favourite blogs of the moment. I’m also a huge fan of Nicola’s choice – The Honest Father – it’s refreshing to see a dad’s (hilarious) perspective on things. When he writes he sounds exactly like my husband. It’s like having an insight into a (more articulate) version of his geeky dad mind, especially with his little side note thoughts he slips in!
My other favourite (yes, I’m having two) is Katie over at Mummy Daddy Me. Her photography skills are incredible and give me huge #bloggoals. Katie blogs about her life with three little ones and always seems to be able to capture the essence of what’s going on in my head perfectly. She also does a fair amount of travel with them, which has given us the confidence to not just sit at home with baby. She makes it look easy (and BEAUTIFUL). Both blogs are completely worthy of checking out if you get the chance.
Having told you about my faves, I should go on to tell you a bit more about me! So, here are my 10 random facts;
- I got married, had a baby and turned 30 all in the space of 12 months. This last year has been a bit of a rollercoaster to say the least. Thankfully, chocolate has got me through it. Especially the 30th birthday. That was rough with a six week old. Luckily he helped me celebrate by letting me wake up in a hotel bed in a puddle of his wee. Thanks baby.
- I can’t stand lasagna. I used to love it as a child. Then my mum cottoned on to the fact that we all ate it and served it religiously week in, week out. All it took was being ill one time after eating it and the thought of that mince-y/cheese-y/pasta-y combo is enough to turn my stomach. Incidentally, my husbands favourite meal is… yep, lasagna.
- I have only ever worked for one company. My family owns a fairly successful company and I’ve worked there officially since the age of 13. After university, I decided to move back to Devon and join them properly, since then I’ve worked my way up to a Director role. People think you get it easy in a family business but the reality is you’re made to prove yourself 10 x more and you’re constantly stuck in work mode. There is something nice though about being able to have a hug from your mum every single day though!
- I met my husband at work (by email!). I met my husband nearly 7 years ago at work when we had to work on an email campaign together. He was hilarious by email but so nervous when we met up that I nearly left it after the first date. Luckily for him, I agreed to go on another and the rest is history. He is (thankfully) nothing like me and can often be relied on to like the opposite of anything I do. But he’s probably reading this so.. he’s perfect. Bleurgh.
- I am ridiculously flexible. Like, ridiculously, considering I never do anything to assist it. I’ve found it really hard losing some of that after pregnancy and actually having to work at getting it back. You poor, non-bendy people, I can relate now!
- I love home renovating and DIY. When I was growing up, my dad built our house so we basically grew up on the building site. Doing jobs on our house is my passion and I always get stuck in dragging everyone else along with me – we’re currently just starting the lounge before we do a big kitchen project next year. I like to understand exactly what we’re doing and why, which drives my poor dad insane at times!
- My entire family lives within 20 minutes of me (well, nearly!). All of my family – cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. live within 20 minutes of me. The exceptions being my brother who moved to Australia (sob!) and my sister who lives in Bristol (but thankfully comes home often!). My husbands family is exactly the same. It has its upsides and its downsides but I can’t imagine not seeing them all frequently. I hope my children have the same network of close family around them.
- I could happily be tee-total. Despite the average mis-spent youth and university adventures, I’m no longer a big drinker and could easily give it up. If I have a crappy day, I’m much more likely to turn to chocolate and unlike most of the mum-tribe, I can’t stand gin! That said, I’m looking forward to some cocktails this Christmas, especially mojitos and mulled wine. Not together. That would be rank.
- My favourite season is Autumn. As much as I enjoy Summer, it’s overrated in my book. It’s almost always a letdown and when it IS hot, it’s not enjoyable. Give me a crisp Autumn day any day of the week! There’s just something lovely about the leaves, the promise of winter and the snuggling in that makes me love it – even when it’s pissing it down outside.
- I swear far too much. In fact, I’m dreading the day that the baby starts mimicking words. I’ll drop the F-bomb in every other sentence. It’s not normally said in anger, more as an adverb (and yes, I did just Google adverbs). I actually have to monitor how I speak around people who don’t know me as well as it just tends to slip out… oops!
And there you go! My nominations for the Liebster Award are;
- Alex of The Alex Project
- Nicola of I am Crabstix
- Charlotte of Charlotte Loves
- Nic of Mummy Wales
- Natalie of Mummy, But Still Me
The Boring Bit aka. The Rules.
Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. Display the Liebster Award on your blog. You can get this by saving the image from my post.
Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the Liebster award, who have less than 200 followers.
List these rules in your post.
Once you have written and published it, you then have to inform the people/blogs that you nominated. Provide a link for them to your post if you don’t have all the information so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)