There’s nothing quite like good sausage rolls. Whether it’s a party or a picnic you’re planning, sausage rolls are the ideal bake. They’re quick to make, taste delicious and are guaranteed crowd pleasers for little and big tummies alike. This recipe for sausage rolls with fennel is a Jamie Oliver sausage rolls recipe with a few tweaks which we absolutely love making. It’s a great way to encourage your children into the kitchen as well, there’s plenty that they can help with, including the eating!
Jamie Oliver Sausage Rolls With Fennel
Makes 20 sausage rolls
You will need:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 12 chipolata sausages
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
- 1 egg (for glazing)
- Plain flour for dusting
- Roll out the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half lengthways so you’re left with two long lengths.
- Whisk your egg and lightly brush over both pieces
- Place your sausages down the middle of each sheet at an angle that’s about 20 degrees off of horizontal. Lay the first so that it starts at the edge of the pastry, then lay the second so that it overlaps by about a third. Continue this through the middle of your pastry with six sausages per sheet. You’ll end up with a row of sausages taking up the centre third of each sheet, almost like they were vertical and have fallen over sideways.
- Sprinkle the fennel over the top of your sausages
- Now take the top edge of the pastry sheet and bring it over the top of your sausages. Repeat with the bottom edge so that you form a parcel for your sausages and pinch down to seal them in. You should now have two long thin sausage parcels!
- Brush the rest of your beaten egg over the parcels and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Take the lengths and cut them into approximately 10 sausage rolls each. You’ll need a firm grip to make sure your sausages don’t squeeze out or use scissors for an easy chop
- With a good spray of Frylight in your baking tray, put your sausage rolls in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 15-20 minutes or until lovely and golden brown
Looking for more inspo? Try this easy fish finger recipe, a childhood classic!
This recipe can originally be found in Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals. We’ve tweaked it slightly but the original is just as delicious!