Do you love chicken fajitas but find them a bit fiddly? Perhaps you want something a little more filling and warming in the winter months. Whatever it is, this chicken fajita rice recipe is for you. A firm favourite in our household you can use leftover cooked chicken to make shredded chicken fajita rice, or cook fresh for the dish. Best of all, you can adapt the spice levels of the homemade fajita spice mix as we’re going to be using our own homemade fajita seasoning recipe!
We love to add in the chopped chorizo which turns the dish into a bit of a cheats paella – if you don’t have any, don’t worry at all. You can also choose to serve it with wraps if you want to split it between more people.
There are a few variations on this, to make it simple, I will be using fresh chicken and a sachet of pre-cooked rice. If you wish to swap in pre-cooked chicken, simply tear it into bitesize chunks and add to the pan at the same time as you add the peppers, you only want to reheat it, not dry it out completely! This dish takes around 10 minutes to cook using a sachet of rice and will make two large adult portions or two smaller adults and two children. To increase the dish, add more rice or bulk it out with more peppers and onions. You can add as much or as little chicken as you like, the recipe is just a guide based on our experiences.
Chicken Fajita Rice Recipe
You will need:
600g Chicken Meat (we prefer to use chicken thighs for flavour)
2 x Onions
3 x Mixed Peppers
1 x Sachet Microwave Long Grain Rice (if using dried rice, pre-cook it, drain and add at the same point)
Fajita Seasoning Spice Mix (recipe provides a great amount for this dish)
100g Chorizo (optional)
Oil for cooking
- Chop the chicken meat into bitesize pieces. Heat a pan with a little oil on a medium/high heat and cook chicken meat until nearly cooked through.
- Slice the onions and peppers (we like it chunky personally). Add the onions to the pan first for a couple of minutes to soften. If you’re adding chorizo, chop into small chunks and add at this stage.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and the onions are soft, add the peppers. If you’re using pre-cooked chicken instead of fresh, you’ll want to add the chicken at this stage to the onions.
- You want the peppers to retain a little crunch for texture, then once the peppers are cooked, add your rice. If you’re using microwave rice, you will not need to heat it in the microwave, just add it cold from the packet and break up any lumps. Stir through.
- Sprinkle the fajita seasoning spice mix over the entire pan, stir and add more until fully coated.
- Pour on 50ml of water to loosen the mixture, prevent burning and stop the dish from becoming too dry. If you’ve cooked your own rice, you may find the dish is already quite moist from this so do not add if the dish looks like it has plenty of moisture in already.
- Allow any excess water to be absorbed, everything to be heated through and serve.
Serve in a dish on its own for a weeknight simple cook or serve with wraps, salsa and sour cream as a sharing dish between more people.