Egg fried rice can have a bad reputation as a takeaway dish but it makes an excellent baby led weaning meal! This baby led weaning egg fried rice recipe gives plenty of flavour and can easily be shared with adults too. It’s quick to make, uses store cupboard ingredients and is full of colours and textures for your baby to explore and enjoy.
This recipe easily serves an adult and a child, if not more. If you use microwave rice sachets, you do not need to pre-heat these before adding them to the pan as they’re already cooked. That makes this an incredibly quick baby led weaning lunch idea!
Egg Fried Rice Recipe
You Will Need:
- 125g long grain rice (we use a boil in the bag sachet but you can use microwave rice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 large onion
- 1 spring onion (optional)
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 30g frozen peas
- Olive oil
- Prepare your rice according to instructions
- Chop the onion, pepper and spring onions into small pieces
- Fry off the onion, pepper and peas in a little oil for 2-3 minutes over a high heat until tender
- Add the spring onion for a further minute
- Add the rice to the pan and stir in before pushing the mixture to the side to make a well in the centre
- Beat the eggs together and pour into the well, reducing the heat down slightly
- Allow the egg to partially cook, like you would an omelette. You want the eggs to be around 60% cooked before moving them
- Stir the egg into the rest of the mix, breaking it up. You should get a good consistency of runny egg to cover the rice mixture and chunks of scrambled egg to add texture; easier for little hands!
- Remove from heat and serve!