Like most households, we’ve a constant supply of brown bananas on hand at all times. Regardless of how many I buy, there are always bananas left over at the end of the work week meaning it’s time to get creative. I’m a huge fan of banana bread (as demonstrated by our Banana & Date Bread Recipe) but sometimes I crave even more sweetness. That’s where these banana & Nutella muffins come in.
I have a small love affair with Nutella, to the point that I don’t trust myself to have it in the house. It forms part of my work travel kit; nothing beats Nutella spread thickly on a croissant to help kick jet-lag in to touch and prepare you for a day of meetings, but I digress. Because it’s never in the house, I had no idea that my husband had never tried Nutella, ever. Understandably I had no choice but to buy some and put it in cake format for him to try… lucky boy.
Banana & Nutella Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
You will need:
- 285g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 110g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 bananas – the browner the better!
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius and lightly grease a muffin tray
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Mix in the eggs and bananas until combined but still slightly lumpy – lumpy mix makes great banana bake!
- Fold in the dry mixture
- Spoon half the mixture into the muffin trays
- Place half a teaspoon of Nutella onto the centre of each cake, it should sit on top of the cake mix
- Spoon the remainder of the cake batter into the muffin trays, hiding the Nutella
- Bake for 20-25 minutes minutes until risen and golden brown