We’re at the stage in our weaning journey where snacks are a ‘thing’. Still finding our feet with baby led weaning main meals, like his mama, this baby adores his between-meal treats and we’re struggling to know what to give him. He’ll happily chomp down on a bit of fruit most days but by the afternoon he’s far fussier and it’s usually then that we turn to a pre-made snack. I’ll admit that my child is a little bit of an addict to the tomato puffs, carrot crisps and farm biscuits of this world. They always go down a treat but I’m starting to worry a little about the quantities he’s ingesting. That’s where these blueberry and banana oat bakes come in… a combo of fruit, filling and healthy oats and no added sugar. There’s a little cinnamon in there as well as a new flavour since we’re trying to expand his palate at the same time and some egg to bind it and give some much needed protein to a boy who flat refuses meat or eggs at the moment.
Now, in the interests of honesty, both myself and my husband tried them and found them tasty but a little bland. My husband summed it up as ‘I was expecting flapjack’… thanks then. The baby? He loves them. As in, cram-an-entire-one-in-at-once, can’t-stay-still-for-a-photo-he’s-that-excited adores them and he’s the one we’re cooking for here. So I guess you could say they were a baby led weaning hit!
Blueberry & Banana Oat Bakes (Baby Led Weaning)
You will need:
- 150g oats
- 1 egg
- 1 large banana
- A handful of blueberries
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and grease a baking tray
- Combine the oats, egg, cinnamon and banana in a bowl
- Chop the blueberries in half and add. Stir until completely mixed in
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the mixture and place in your palm. Roll lightly between your hands to make it into a ball approximately 2-3cm wide
- Place the ball on the baking tray and lightly flatten until it’s approximately 1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Place in the oven until starting to brown and firm(ish) to touch. The mixture will firm further on cooling so it doesn’t need to be completely hard at this stage
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container until eaten!
Like this post? Pin it!