Recipe: Blueberry & Banana Oat Bakes

We’re at the stage in our weaning journey where snacks are a ‘thing’. Still finding our feet with baby led weaning main meals, like his mama, this baby adores his between-meal treats and we’re struggling to know what to give him. He’ll happily chomp down on a bit of fruit most days but by the afternoon he’s far fussier and it’s usually then that we turn to a pre-made snack. I’ll admit that my child is a little bit of an addict to the tomato puffs, carrot crisps and farm biscuits of this world. They always go down a treat but I’m starting to worry a little about the quantities he’s ingesting. That’s where these blueberry and banana oat bakes come in… a combo of fruit, filling and healthy oats and no added sugar. There’s a little cinnamon in there as well as a new flavour since we’re trying to expand his palate at the same time and some egg to bind it and give some much needed protein to a boy who flat refuses meat or eggs at the moment.

Recipe Banana and blueberry oat bakes baby led weaning

Now, in the interests of honesty, both myself and my husband tried them and found them tasty but a little bland. My husband summed it up as ‘I was expecting flapjack’… thanks then. The baby? He loves them. As in, cram-an-entire-one-in-at-once, can’t-stay-still-for-a-photo-he’s-that-excited adores them and he’s the one we’re cooking for here. So I guess you could say they were a baby led weaning hit!

Recipe Banana and blueberry oat bakes baby led weaning

Blueberry & Banana Oat Bakes (Baby Led Weaning)

You will need:

• 150g oats
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large banana
  • A handful of blueberries
  • 1tsp of cinnamon

Recipe:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and grease a baking tray
  2. Combine the oats, egg, cinnamon and banana in a bowl
  3. Chop the blueberries in half and add. Stir until completely mixed in
  4. Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the mixture and place in your palm. Roll lightly between your hands to make it into a ball approximately 2-3cm wide
  5. Place the ball on the baking tray and lightly flatten until it’s approximately 1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
  6. Place in the oven until starting to brown and firm(ish) to touch. The mixture will firm further on cooling so it doesn’t need to be completely hard at this stage
  7. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container until eaten!

Like this post? Pin it!

Recipe- Banana & Blueberry Oat Bakes (Baby Led Weaning)

1. 24th February 2017 / 1:06 pm

Oh, wow! I’ll be definitely saving this recipe for later use 🙂 those look super delicious 🙂

24th February 2017 / 5:43 pm

Thank you!

2. 24th February 2017 / 3:21 pm

Oooh these look scrummy! Looks like even a crap cook like me could make them with ease!

24th February 2017 / 5:42 pm

If I can make them, anyone can!! All my cooking is designed for people, like me, that struggle to cook!!

3. 24th February 2017 / 5:04 pm

These look amazing. I am gonna make them for myself as I am doing slimming world so these would be perfect

24th February 2017 / 5:42 pm

Oooh I hadn’t thought of that. I think if I was making them for me, I’d be tempted to add a bit of sweetness to them; some raisins and a bit of sweetener perhaps. That’s just because I’ve got a major sweet tooth though. If you’re on slimming world, try the sweet potato rostis that are on here… delish!

4. 24th February 2017 / 5:29 pm

Bless him! I need to up my baking game pretty quick once we start baby led weaning I think!! So excited! Will be following closely! x

24th February 2017 / 5:40 pm

Don’t worry, we lived off of cucumber and pepper sticks for the first six weeks!!

5. 24th February 2017 / 6:49 pm

These look great! My nearly 3 year old still refuses meat of any sort, and has done since day 1 so I have to be a bit more inventive about getting protein into her.x

25th February 2017 / 11:16 am

Snap – I don’t know how he knows!! A friend suggested we mix meat in with yoghurt since he likes yoghurt… yuck!!!

6. 24th February 2017 / 7:28 pm

If they are good enough for your bubba they are good enough for us x

7. Kelly
    22nd March 2017 / 8:08 pm

Can you freeze? Or how long would you store in the fridge? X

22nd March 2017 / 9:28 pm

They should freeze fine – they might be a bit squishy when defrosted, I haven’t tried personally but there’s nothing in there that wouldn’t work frozen. I only kept mine for a couple of days in an airtight container, they got eaten that quickly!