These baby led weaning carrot cake oat slices have all the goodness and flavour of a carrot cake, yet are dairy free, sugar free and gluten free! They make the perfect baby led weaning snack too – great alongside our very popular Blueberry and Banana Oat Bakes recipe! Since originally creating this recipe my first ‘baby led weaner’ has grown up and he loves the carrot cake bars that are available in supermarkets – well these are similar, just a lot lot cheaper to make!
Now, this isn’t an actual carrot cake recipe. We’re following baby led weaning and for us that means no sugar. For me, a cake needs sugar – I can’t get my head around how to make one without it! These are oat based which means they’re firmer in texture and due to the consistency of the bake, can be quite dense when cooked which is why we recommend cutting them into slices whilst still warm. I’ve also found cutting them into 3cm x 3cm squares helps prevent my little one from trying to eat the whole thing in one mouthful!
Related post: Try our banana pancakes recipe!
Carrot Cake Oat Slices Recipe (Baby Led Weaning)
You will need:
- 100g oats
- 60g carrot
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 30g raisins
- 1/2 medium banana
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C and grease a baking tin roughly XX by XX
- Finely grate the carrot, mash the banana and beat the eggs
- Add all ingredients together and combine until well mixed. The mixture should be fairly sticky
- Pat into your baking tray – slices should be about 1cm thick
- Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the bake is firm but springy. The mixture will firm further on cooling so it doesn’t need to be completely hard at this stage
- Remove from oven, loosen around the edge and place on a cooling rack
- Slice into finger length slices approximately 2-3cm wide – perfect for little hands!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
Like this post? Pin it!