As a busy parent, soup is one of my go to lunches. It’s quick to prepare, warming on a cool day and fills you up nicely! Canned soup isn’t bad for you but it’s often got plenty of preservatives and a high salt content which makes it unsuitable for little ones to consume. Homemade soup takes a little longer to prep (this took around 15-20 minutes) but can be packed full of plenty of hidden veggies and freezes wonderfully. We’ve used this as part of our weaning journey; if you’re a true baby led weaning follower then make it a little thicker and put on pre-loaded spoons. If, like us, you’re going for a mix of the two then leave your veggies a bit chunkier and allow them to go wild with it on the highchair whilst spooning some of the ‘soup’ if required. Here’s our take on a weaning friendly vegetable minestrone soup recipe.
Recipe: Vegetable Minestone Soup
You will need:
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 medium potato
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 25g spaghetti
- 1 handful mixed frozen vegetables – we used mixed which contains carrot, peas, cauliflower, broccoli and sweetcorn
- 1tsp oregano
- Olive oil for cooking
- Chop the potato and boil in water until cooked through
- Whilst this is cooking, dice the onion, celery, tomato and mushrooms. Fry off with a little olive oil and chopped garlic until softened
- Drain the potato, then place everything together into a blender along with the tinned tomatoes and oregano. Add half of the stock. Blend until smooth. Add the remainder of the stock slowly until the mixture is at your desired consistency.
- Chop the spaghetti into 1.5-2cm pieces. Add to boiling water along with the frozen vegetables. Cook until the pasta is cooked through.
- Drain the spaghetti and vegetable mixture, stir through the blended soup mix and serve with chunky cut toast.
- If freezing, allow to cool, pour into containers and freeze. To cook from frozen allow to defrost fully in the fridge and heat through.
Related post: Baby led weaning recipes we LOVE!
Like this post? Pin it!