The perfect baby led weaning snack, these blueberry and banana oat bakes are tasty, filling and nutritious. It’s a good way to encourage your little one to eat fruit and they’re great for on the go. We found that when following baby led weaning, meals are relatively easy but baby led weaning snacks are a little more likely to be things that we buy… and they’re so expensive! That’s why we love this simple baby led weaning recipe for oat bakes; all the solidity of a biscuit and the softness of a cake, at a fraction of the cost of store bought snacks
Due to the egg content, we found this to be an easier initial way to get protein into our egg refusing child’s diet. Blueberries are a great antioxidant and bananas and oats are ideal to set them up for the day with plenty of energy. There’s no added sugars either thanks to the sweetness of the banana.
These oat bakes store well in an airtight container, we recommend keeping them in a cool place.
Blueberry & Banana Oat Bakes (Baby Led Weaning)
You will need:
- 150g oats
- 1 egg
- 1 large banana
- A handful of blueberries
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and grease a baking tray
- Combine the oats, egg, cinnamon and banana in a bowl
- Chop the blueberries in half and add. Stir until completely mixed in
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the mixture and place in your palm. Roll lightly between your hands to make it into a ball approximately 2-3cm wide
- Place the ball on the baking tray and lightly flatten until it’s approximately 1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Place in the oven until starting to brown and firm(ish) to touch. For us this is around 8-9 minutes. The mixture will firm further on cooling so it doesn’t need to be completely hard at this stage
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container until eaten!
Why not check out our carrot cake oaty slices for another BLW snack? Or, for more baby led weaning recipes, you can find our favourites here!