We’re at the stage in our weaning journey where snacks are a ‘thing’. Still finding our feet with baby led weaning main meals, like his mama, this baby adores his between-meal treats and we’re struggling to know what to give him. He’ll happily chomp down on a bit of fruit most days but by the afternoon he’s far fussier and it’s usually then that we turn to a pre-made snack. I’ll admit that my child is a little bit of an addict to the tomato puffs, carrot crisps and farm biscuits of this world. They always go down a treat but I’m starting to worry a little about the quantities he’s ingesting. That’s where these blueberry and banana oat bakes come in… a combo of fruit, filling and healthy oats and no added sugar. There’s a little cinnamon in there as well as a new flavour since we’re trying to expand his palate at the same time and some egg to bind it and give some much needed protein to a boy who flat refuses meat or eggs at the moment.
Now, in the interests of honesty, both myself and my husband tried them and found them tasty but a little bland. My husband summed it up as ‘I was expecting flapjack‘… thanks then. The baby? He loves them. As in, cram-an-entire-one-in-at-once, can’t-stay-still-for-a-photo-he’s-that-excited adores them and he’s the one we’re cooking for here. So I guess you could say they were a baby led weaning hit!
Blueberry & Banana Oat Bakes (Baby Led Weaning)
You will need:
- 150g oats
- 1 egg
- 1 large banana
- A handful of blueberries
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and grease a baking tray
- Combine the oats, egg, cinnamon and banana in a bowl
- Chop the blueberries in half and add. Stir until completely mixed in
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the mixture and place in your palm. Roll lightly between your hands to make it into a ball approximately 2-3cm wide
- Place the ball on the baking tray and lightly flatten until it’s approximately 1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Place in the oven until starting to brown and firm(ish) to touch. The mixture will firm further on cooling so it doesn’t need to be completely hard at this stage
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container until eaten!
Why not check out our carrot cake oaty slices for another BLW snack? Or, for more baby led weaning recipes, you can find our favourites here!
Like this post? Pin it!