Looking for a simple fish finger recipe? Fish fingers are a staple in most households and with good reason! There are lots of benefits to getting fish into your child’s diet – it’s a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. Fish is also a really good source of healthy fats that are essential for a child’s developing brain, eyesight and nervous system. Homemade fish fingers are really easy to make and taste delicious too. This is a baby led weaning fish finger recipe but in reality, it’s suitable for all of the family. These fish fingers aren’t just for babies, they’re great for toddlers, older children and even us adults… my favourite type of weaning recipe to be honest – we know you fancy a sneaky fish finger sandwich too!
You can start introducing fish into your baby’s diet from the minute they start weaning. Many people recommend starting weaning with savoury flavours, steering clear of fruits to start with, in order to get your child accustomed to savoury tastes first. Fish is a perfect accompaniment to those veggies. Not sure where to start? Try cooking fish on it’s own and flaking it up for your little one to pick at. Or, if you think they’re ready to be let loose on finger foods in a bigger way, then these fish fingers will do the job perfectly!
We tend to use cod or haddock as the filling for these fish fingers but any firm white fish will do, just make sure you check it for bones carefully first. The best way to do this is to literally take it in your hands and feel down through it as you rinse it under some gentle running water. Be sure to pat it dry after so that you’re not starting with a soggy fish finger! Try putting your fish in the fridge first for at least half an hour so that it firms up making it even easier to work with.
Homemade (Baby Led Weaning) Fish Finger Recipe
You will need:
- An egg
- One skinless fillet of firm white fish such as cod or haddock
- Two pieces of bread made into breadcrumbs (white or wholemeal is fine, it doesn’t matter if it’s a little stale!)
- 25g plain flour
- 1tsp oregano
- Pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and spray a baking tray with fry-light
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 1tsp of oregano and a generous seasoning of pepper
- Prepare three separate bowls; one with flour, one with beaten egg and one with the breadcrumbs
- Slice the fish fillet into finger length portions approximately 1.5-2cm wide – be sure to check your fish for bones at this point
- Dip each fish finger into the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs making sure to coat well at each stage
- Lay on baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, turning halfway