When I think of egg fried rice, I think of the greasy side dish that we have with our Chinese take away; delicious but probably not the healthiest. Over the last few weeks there’s been a resurgence of it in our household though; it makes an easy lunch for me and the toddler and best of all it’s both Slimming World and Baby Led Weaning friendly – something that we’re about to start again. Finally, something that’s quick, easy and will cover off all three of us (me, the toddler and the baby) for those days at home together.
Egg Fried Rice Recipe
You Will Need:
- 125g long grain rice (we use a boil in the bag sachet but you can use microwave rice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 large onion
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 3 spring onions
- 30g frozen peas
- Frylight/olive oil
- Cook your rice in boiling water for 10-12 minutes until ready, drain and place to one side
- Chop the onion, pepper and spring onions into small pieces
- Fry off the onion, pepper and peas in a little oil for 2-3 minutes over a high heat until tender
- Add the spring onion for a further minute
- Add the rice to the pan and stir in before pushing the mixture to the side to make a well in the centre
- Beat the eggs together and pour into the well, reducing the heat down slightly
- Allow the egg to partially cook, like you would an omelette. This should take a couple of minutes maximum.
- Stir the egg into the rest of the mix, breaking it up. You should get a good consistency of runny egg to cover the rice mixture and chunks of scrambled egg to add texture; easier for little hands!
- Remove from heat and serve – sprinkle a little spring onion over the top or some soy sauce if required.