The school holidays are upon us. If you open your window wide enough and listen carefully each morning, you’ll hear it. The collective sound of millions of parents minds as they ponder the dreaded question… ‘how am I going to entertain them today?’ Well fear not, help is at hand! This month, I’ve got together with some of my favourite bloggers to offer you a shedload of activities to do with your little ones over the long, hot (we can dream, right?!) summer. From books to backyard adventures, we’ve covered it all. But first, here’s our Summer Bucket List with forty must do activities this summer to ensure it’s a summer to remember…
- Make your own ice lollies from scratch
- Build a fort in the lounge out of sofa cushions and spend the day in it
- Make kebabs for the barbecue and eat them
- Play a game of sardines
- Have a board games championship
- Bake sugar cookies and have an icing competition
- Have a sleepover in the lounge
- Have a midnight feast
- Make your own pizzas
- Have a pyjama day
- Mix your own cocktails for kids (aka. smoothies)
- Make up a dance routine and put on a show
- Eat ice cream for breakfast and cereals for tea!
In The Garden
- Pitch a tent and camp outside for the night
- Go on a bug hunt – who can see the most different types?
- Try a treasure hunt with clues or a map to find the hidden gold (chocolate!)
- Hold a mini olympics – skipping, hopping, crawling, egg & spoon races
- Have a water pistol fight
- Stay up late and search for shooting stars
- Toast marshmallows over the barbecue (carefully!)
- Learn to do cartwheels
- Have a pool party – paddling pool, of course!
- Try making a human pyramid with your friends. Carefully!
- Set up an outdoor cinema with a projector and a sheet
- Decorate your drive with chalk drawings
Going Out Out
- Have a sandcastle competition at the beach
- Paddle in the sea/stream
- Go rockpooling. How many different creatures can you see?
- Eat fish and chips
- Try clip ‘n’ climb
- Play a game of French cricket
- Fly a kite
- Challenge your friends to a game of hide and seek
- Try geocaching as a family
- Go swimming
- Check out a trampoline park
- Go fruit picking
- Have a picnic
- Go for a bike ride
- Take a day trip on the train
And there you have it, forty must do activities for your summer to guarantee it’s a success. How many can you tick off? What would you add to yours?
Fancy some more summer fun, check out these other great ideas…