A fast and nutritious baby led weaning meal, eggy bread works for breakfast, lunch or dinner! This baby led weaning eggy bread recipe requires just two ingredients (plus a bit of oil) and can be served up in a matter of minutes.
You can serve eggs to your baby any time after six months. If you’re planning on serving them slightly undercooked or raw then you should always look out for the red lion stamped eggs – personally we look out for this every time regardless! Eggs are an excellent source of protein for little ones and are packed full of vitamins and minerals that help support development and growth.
In terms of which bread to use, we opt for a wholemeal bread because it tends to be slightly firmer than white bread. General advice is that wholemeal is fine to give to babies but you should mix things up between white and wholemeal versions of things like pasta and bread. Avoid giving breads that have large seeds and nuts in them as these are potential choking risks and can scratch your babies throat.
Both bread and eggs are potential allergens (eggs and gluten) so you should always first try them on a little and wait a couple of days before adding another allergen. Once you’re happy that they’re fine then you’re good to go!
Baby Led Weaning Eggy Bread Recipe
You will need:
- 1 medium egg
- 1 slice of bread
- Oil for cooking
- Crack your egg onto a plate or flat bottomed bowl. Mix it with a fork to combine the yolk and whites
- Place your bread into the egg mixture and move it around slightly to ensure the bottom is covered
- Flip the bread over and repeat
- Pre-heat a frying pan over a medium heat and spray or wipe it with a small amount of oil
- Place your eggy bread into the hot pan, you can pour any excess egg from your plate on top of the piece of bread.
- Cook for around 90 seconds, flip and continue to cook for a further two minutes until the egg is cooked and firm. Flip the bread back over if you are unsure or would like to cook it further. Your bread should be a white and golden colour with some darker patches when cooked properly, it will feel firm but springy to touch.
- Remove from pan, slice in half lengthways before slicing into 2cm fingers.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve!