Hash brown or potato rosti; whatever you call them, they’re delicious. This baby led weaning sweet potato rosti recipe is pretty easy to make and even easier to eat. Serve them fresh from the oven or store them in the fridge to reheat – they should be okay to be frozen after being cooked and cooled but we’ve never had enough left for that to happen!
Not only is this recipe baby led weaning friendly, it’s also great for all of the family thanks to it’s versatility. They’re packed full of veggie goodness but taste like crunchy treat, and once you’ve got the principle sorted you can mix them up with various root veg. We’ve opted for sweet potato because it’s texture is well suited and the sweetness works a treat. Why not pair it with a poached egg for a protein combo? Just remember if you’re using this for weaning then you should always look out for eggs with the red lion mark if you’re intending on serving them runny.
The only downside is they went so quickly, I failed to get a photo of them cooked… means I’ll have to make them again, shame…
Sweet Potato Rostis (Makes 10)
You will need:
- Two beaten eggs
- Two large potatoes
- One large sweet potato
- 50g finely grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4-5 and spray a baking tray with fry-light
- Peel and coarsely grate your potatoes – I used a food processor to do this… far easier!
- Place your grated potato into a bowl of cold water and mix with your hands to get rid of any starch
- Remove the gratings from the bowl by hand and squeeze firmly in your palms to remove as much water as possible before placing into a second bowl
- Pour over the beaten egg, the finely grated cheddar and season
- Stir your mixture well. It should be clumping together at this stage. If you feel it’s still not ‘sticky’ enough, add another beaten egg
- Using your hands, take out a handful of the mixture, squeeze it together and form an oval shape on your baking tray. Repeat until you have all of your rosti mixture used. You should aim for them to be approx 1.5cm thick. Be sure to tidy the sides using your finger to keep the shape neat
- Spray the tops with fry-light
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until browned and crisp on top
- Remove and enjoy!